||CU Boulder Webpages:
Stephen (Steve) J. Mojzsis
Professor of Geology
Director, Collaborative for Research in Origins (CRiO)
Department of Geological Sciences
University of Colorado at Boulder
2200 Colorado Avenue
Boulder, Co. 80309-0399
--> Best Wishes to Nicholas Warren (B. Sc. student in our group) who graduated with Latin Honors from our group. Bon Voyage, Nick!
--> Congratulations to Jonathan Oulton (Ph.D. student in our group) who was awarded a NASA Earth and Space Sciences graduate fellowship! Way to go, Jon!
--> We are pleased to announce the establishment of CRiO (Collaborative for Research in Origins), funded by The John Templeton Foundation - FfAME origins program.
--> Jennika Greer defended her M.Sc. thesis and entered the Ph.D. program at University of Chicago's Department of Geophysical Sciences with an NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. We are very proud of you, Jennika! She will be working with Philip Heck on cosmochemical problems.
RECENT WORK (be sure to check for frequent updates):
- Late veneer and late accretion to the terrestrial planets
Ramon Brasser (ELSI-TiTech, Japan) has worked out the nature and duration of late accretion to the inner planets, under strict geochemical constraints.
- ANALYSIS OF TERRESTRIAL PLANET FORMATION BY THE GRAND TACK MODEL: SYSTEM ARCHITECTURE AND TACK LOCATION
With our friend and colleague Ramon Brasser (ELSI-TiTech, Japan) we have evaluated how the popular Grand Tack model of planet formation responds to changes in initial conditions.
- Thermodynamics, Disequilibrium, Evolution: Far-From-Equilibrium Geological and Chemical Considerations for Origin-Of-Life Research
Laurie Barge and our colleagues report on the results of our workshop at the ELSI Tokyo Institute of Technology on origins of life from a thermodynamical point of view.
- Sluggish Hadean geodynamics: Evidence from coupled 146,147Sm–142,143Nd systematics in Eoarchean supracrustal rocks of the Inukjuak domain (Quebec)
Guillaume Caro (CRPG-Nancy, France) reports the first comprehensive geochemical and isotopic data for a newly-discovered ca. 3.8 Gyr old supracrustal belt - dubbed "Ukaliq" - in the Inukjuak domain of northern Quebec.
- Chemical and textural overprinting of ancient stromatolites: Timing,processes, and implications for their use as paleoenvironmental proxies
Daniel Petrash, Kurt Konhauser and colleagues have reported the most detailed petrographic/geochemical study of the Gunflint Chert yet attempted, and there are some new caveats to old interpretations of this complex rock.
- Thermal effects of impact bombardments on Noachian Mars (EPSL-Frontiers, invited review)
Oleg Abramov and I have modeled the thermal fields due to different early impact scenarios of the crust of early Mars
- Highly siderophile element abundances in Eoarchean komatiite
and basalt protoliths
We explore (with Elizabeth Frank, and Wolfgang Maier) whether the oldest ultramafic enclaves locked in Eoarchean gneiss complexes could be komatiites, and if they record progressive in-mixing of an HSE rich "Late Veneer".
GEOL 1020: Introduction to Geology 1 (some years)
GEOL 1020: Historical Geology & Earth System History (Fall 2016)
ASTR/GEOL 2040: Search for Life in the Universe (next offered, Spring 2017)
GEOL 4500: Critical Thinking in Earth Sciences: Origin of Life (some years)
GEOL 4130: Introduction to Planetary Field Geology (next offered Maymester, 2017)
GEOL 4700/5700: Archean and Proterozoic Geology (some years)
GEOL 4330/5330: Cosmochemistry (next offered, Spring 2017)
ASTR/ATOC/GEOL 5835: Planetary Seminar (some years)
GEOL 5700: Special Topics: Geobiology (this course is being remade, and will likely be led by Prof. Seb Kopf, and co-taught by me along with Profs. Wing and Templeton)
ASTR/GEOL 5130: Planetary Field Geology (next offered Fall, 2017 on the Big Island of Hawai'i)
ASTR/GEOL 5800 Planetary Surfaces & Interiors (next offered Fall 2017)
ASTR/ATOC/GEOL 5830: Geology, Age and Origin of the Moon (some years)
[Ukalik site, September 2014]
- Faculty Member:
Steve Mojzsis (email)
- Staff Research Scientists:
- Nigel Kelly - University of Colorado (email)
- Jeff Jennings - University of Colorado, and University of Munich, Germany (email)
- Oleg Abramov - Planetary Science Institute (email)
- Graduate Students:
- Jonathan Oulton (B.Sc. Geology, FSU), Ph.D. student since Fall 2015 (email)
- Michael Zawaski (B.Sc. Astronomy & Geology, CU; M.Sc. Earth Sciences, UNC), Ph.D. student since Fall 2016 (email)
- Student Assistants:
- Our Distinguished Alumni:
- Jennika Greer (Ph.D. student, University of Chicago, Department of Geophysical Sciences) (email)
- Dr. Nicole Cates (Research Faculty, University of Manitoba) (email)
- Dr. Michelle Hopkins (Lecturer, Santa Monica College) (email)
- Dr. Elizabeth Frank (Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Terrestrial Magnetism, Carnegie Institution of Washington) (email)
- Dr. Oleg Abramov (Staff Scientist, Astrogeology Group, USGS) (email)
- Dr. Dominic Papineau (Lecturer in geochemistry and astrobiology, University College London (UK)
- Prof. Dustin Trail (Assistant Professor, University of Rochester)
- Prof. Elizabeth Swanner-Smith (Assistant Professor, Iowa State University) (email)
- Michael Gross B.Sc. undergraduate in Geology (email)
- Jon Adam M.Ed. in Science Education (Boulder Valley School District)
- Steven Glaser M.Sc. in Geological Sciences (graduated Fall 2010; now Ph.D. student with E. Shock at ASU)
- Laurie Carmack B.A. in Anthropology (M.Ed. student at University of Oregon)
- Allison Schaiberger B.Sc. student in Geology
- Heather Sickels B.Sc. in Geology (freelance writer in Boulder, Colorado)
- Kelsi Singer B.Sc. (honors) in Astrophysics/Archeaology/Geology; Ph.D. Washington University - St. Louis (now a posdoctoral researcher at the Southwest Research Institute, Boulder)
- Nick Strohecker B.Sc. in Accounting, Minor in Geology (Robert Half International)
- John Braswell B.Sc. in Geological Sciences at University of Michigan (2009 UNAVCO Summer Intern)
- Diana Prado B.Sc. in Geological Sciences at University of Puerto Rico (2010 UNAVCO Summer Intern; now at Ferrovial Agroman S.A.)
- Sarah Palaich (now a Ph.D. student in the Department of Earth & Space Sciences, UCLA with Prof. A. Kavner)
- Analisa Maier B.Sc., M.Sc. in Geological Sciences at University of Colorado (Staff Geologist, Apache Corporation, Midland, TX)
- Ethan Putnam former high school honors student working in our lab, now at Dartmouth College(email)
- Nick Warrent B.Sc. in Geology (email)
- Wilder Lavington B.Sc. undergraduate in Chemistry/Computer Science (email)
- Cole Pazar B.Sc. undergraduate in Geology (email)
University of Colorado at Boulder
Graduate Program in Planetary Sciences
Department of Geological Sciences
The Center for Astrobiology
Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics