Racetrack Playa, Death Valley (CA) November, 2011
Department of Geological Sciences
You may be wondering about my somewhat complicated Family Name, its origin, and how to pronounce it. For an explanation, please click here
The research carried out in my group is field- and laboratory-based, and seeks to understand such things as:
Underline = Student Author from my group
Italics = Postdoctoral Author from my group
(Note about papers in the works - as these appear IN PRINT or IN PRESS I will do my best update the links.)
2011 and on-going
56. Cates, N.L., Hopkins, M.D., Trail, D., Guitreau, M., Maier, A.C., Abramov, O., Bleeker, W. and Mojzsis, S.J. (IN PREP) The ca. 4.2-3.7 Ga history of the Acasta Gneiss Complex (Northwest Territories, Canada).
55. Abbott, S.S., Harrison, T.M., Schmitt, A.K. and Mojzsis, S.J. (SUBMITTED) Thermal Effects Recorded in Ti-U-Th-Pb Depth Profiles of Hadean Zircons.
54. Guitreau, M., Blichert-Toft, J., Martin, H., Mojzsis, S.J. and Albarede, F. (IN REVIEW) Hafnium isotope evidence from Archean granitic rocks for deep-mantle origin of continental crust.
53. Swanner, E.D., Cates, N.L., Pecoits, E. Konhauser, K.O. and Mojzsis, S.J. (IN PREP) A "Cobalt Pulse" recorded in sedimentary sulfides prior to the Great Oxidation Event.
52. Maier, A.C., Cates, N.L., Trail, D. and Mojzsis, S.J. (IN REVISIONS) Geology and geochemistry of Hadean zircon bearing supracrustal rocks from Quad Creek, eastern Beartooth Mountains (Montana, USA).
51. Mloszewska, A.M., Pecoits, E., Cates, N.L., Mojzsis, S.J. and Konhauser, K.O. (IN REVISIONS) Eoarchean seawater compositions recorded in iron-formations of the >3.78 Ga Nuvvuagittuq supracrustal belt (Quebec, Canada).
50. Cates, N.L., Ziegler, K., Schmitt, A.K. and Mojzsis, S.J. (SUBMITTED) Reduced, reused and recycled: The Eoarchean Nuvvuagittuq supracrustal belt (Quebec, Canada).
49. Mojzsis, S.J. (IN PREP) Invited Review: Crossroads - The earliest history of water on the Earth.
48. Konhauser, K.O., Lalonde, S.V., Planavsky, N.J., Pecoits, E., Lyons, T.W., Mojzsis, S.J., Rouxel, O.J., Barley, M.E., Rosiere, C., Fralick, P.W., Kump, L.R. and Bekker, A. (2011) Aerobic bacterial pyrite oxidation and acid rock drainage during the Great Oxidation Event. Nature 478, 369-374.
47. Abramov, O. and Mojzsis, S.J. (2011) Abodes for life in carbonaceous asteroids? Icarus 213, 273-279.
46. Mojzsis, S.J. (2010) Leftover lithosphere. Nature Geoscience 3, 148-149.
45. Mojzsis, S.J. (2010) Earth, formation and early evolution. in Encyclopedia of Astrobiology.
44. Papineau, D. et al. (2010) Ancient graphite in Eoarchean quartz-pyroxene rocks from Akilia, West Greenland I: Petrographic and spectroscopic characterization. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 74, 5862-5883.
43. Abramov, O. and Mojzsis, S.J. Microbial habitability of the terrestrial biosphere during the late heavy bombardment. Nature 459, 419-422.
42. Cates, N.L. and Mojzsis, S.J. (2009) Metamorphic zircon, trace elements and Neoarchean metamorphism in the ca. 3.75 Ga Nuvvuagittuq supracrustal belt, Quebec (Canada). Chemical Geology 261, 98-113.
41. Caro, G., Bennett, V.C., Bourdon, B., Harrison, T.M., Mojzsis, S.J. and Harris, J.W. (2008) Precise analysis of 142Nd/144Nd in small samples: Application to Hadean zircons from Jack Hills (W. Australia) and diamond inclusions from Finsch (S. Africa). Chemical Geology 247, 253-265.
40. Turner, G., Busfield, A., Crowther, S., Harrison, T.M., Mojzsis, S.J. and Gilmour, J. (2007) Pu-Xe, U-Xe, U-Pb chronology and isotope systematics of ancient zircons from Western Australia. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 261, 491-499.
39. SORRY, ONLY A PREPRINT AVAILABLE *Mojzsis, S.J. (2007) Sulphur on the Early Earth. In, Earth's oldest rocks (Van Kranendonk, M..J., Smithies, R.H. and Bennett, V. Eds.) Developments in Precambrian Geology 15, 923-970.
38. Dauphas, N., Cates, N.L., Mojzsis, S.J. and Busigny, V. (2007) Identification of chemical sedimentary protoliths using iron isotopes in the >3760 Ma Nuvvuagittuq supracrustal belt, Canada. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 254, 358-376.
37. Cates, N.L. and Mojzsis, S.J. (2007) Pre-3750 Ma supracrustal rocks from the Nuvvuagittuq supracrustal belt, northern Quebec. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 255, 9-21.
36. Trail, D., Mojzsis, S.J. and Harrison, T.M. (2007) Thermal events documented in Hadean zircons by ion microprobe depth profiles. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71, 4044-4065.
35. Trail, D., Mojzsis, S.J., Harrison, T.M., Schmitt, A.K., Watson, E.B. and Young, E.D. (2007) Constraints on Hadean protoliths from oxygen isotopes and Ti-thermometry Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 8. doi:10.1029/2006GC001449.
34. Papineau, D., Mojzsis, S.J., and Schmitt, A.K. (2007) Multiple sulfur isotopes from Paleoproterozoic Huronian interglacial sediments and the rise of atmospheric oxygen. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 255, 188-212.
33. Papineau, D. and Mojzsis, S.J. (2006) Mass-independent fractionation of sulfur isotopes in sulfides from the pre-3770 Ma Isua Supracrustal Belt, West Greenland. Geobiology 4, 227-238.
32. Cates, N.L. and Mojzsis, S.J. (2006) Chemical and isotopic evidence for widespread Eoarchean (>3700 Ma) metasedimentary enclaves in southern West Greenland. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 70, 4229-4257.
31. Manning, C.E., Mojzsis, S.J. and Harrison, T.M. (2006) Geology, age and origin of supracrustal rocks, Akilia, Greenland. Am. J. Sci. 306, 303-366.
30. Harrison, T.M., Blichert-Toft, J., Mueller, W., Albarede, F., Holden, P. and Mojzsis, S.J. (2006) Response to comment on "Heterogeneous Hadean Hafnium: Evidence of continental crust at 4.4 to 4.5 Ga." Science 312, 1139b.
29. Harrison, T.M., Blichert-Toft, J., Mueller, W., Albarede, F., Holden, P. and Mojzsis, S.J. (2005) Heterogeneous Hadean Hafnium: Evidence of continental crust at 4.4 to 4.5 Ga. Science 310, 1947-1950.
28. Papineau, D., Mojzsis, S.J., Coath, C.D., Karhu, J.A. and McKeegan, K.D. (2005) Multiple sulfur isotopes of sulfides from sediments in the aftermath of Paleoproterozoic glaciations. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 69, 5033-5060 (doi: 10.1016/j.gca.2005.07.005).
27. Papineau, D., Walker, J.J, Mojzsis, S.J., and Pace, N.R. (2005) Composition and structure of microbial communities from stromatolites of Hamelin Pool in Shark Bay, Western Australia. Appl. Environ. Microbio. 71, 4822-4832 (doi: 10.1128/AEM.71.8.4822-4832.2005).
26. Mojzsis, S.J. (2005) Precambrian hydrocarbons: Products of changing geology and biology with time. Petrol. Front. 20, 3-10.
25. Papineau, D., Mojzsis, S.J., Karhu, J.A. and Marty, B. (2005) Nitrogen isotopic composition of ammoniated phyllosilicates: Case studies from Precambrian metamorphosed sedimentary rocks. Chem. Geol. 216, 37-58 (doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2004.10.009).
24. *Mojzsis, S.J. Atmosphere evolution. In Encyclopedia of Geology, edited by R. Selley, R. Cocks and I.R Plimer: Elsevier, Oxford 1, 197-207.
23. Turner, G., Harrison, T.M., Holland, G., Mojzsis, S.J. and Gilmour, J. (2004) Extinct 244Pu in ancient zircons. Science 306, 89-91.
22. *Mojzsis, S.J. (2003) Probing early atmospheres. Nature 425 (6955), 249-251 doi:10.1038/425249a.
21. Mojzsis, S.J., Devaraju, T.C. and Newton, R.C. (2003) Ion microprobe U-Pb age determinations on zircon from the Late Archean granulite facies transition zone of southern Karnataka, India. J. Geol. 111(4), 407-425.
20. Mojzsis, S.J., Coath, C.D., Greenwood, J.P., McKeegan, K.D. and Harrison, T.M. (2003) Confirmation of mass-independent isotope effects in Archean (2.5 – 3.8 Ga) sedimentary sulfides as determined by ion microprobe analysis. Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 67(9), 1635-1658.
19. Mojzsis, S.J. (2002) Origin of Life: The First Fossils. In Encyclopedia of Evolution, edited by M. Pagel: Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 843-845.
18. Mojzsis, S.J., and Harrison, T.M. (2002) Establishment of a 3.83 Ga magmatic age for the Akilia tonalite (southern West Greenland). Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 202, 563-576.
17. Mojzsis, S.J. and Harrison, T.M. (2002) Origin and Significance of Archean Quartzose Rocks at Akilia, Greenland. Science 298, 917a.
16. Mojzsis, S.J., Harrison, T.M., Pidgeon, R.T., C.D. (2001) Oxygen isotope evidence from ancient zircons for liquid water at Earths surface 4,300 Myr ago. Nature 409, 178-181.
15. Anbar, A.D., Zahnle, K.J., Arnold, G. and Mojzsis, S.J. (2001) Extraterrestrial iridium, sediment accumulation and the habitability of the early Earths surface. J. Geophys. Res. 106(2), 3219-3236.
14. Mojzsis, S.J. (2001) Life and the evolution of Earths atmosphere, In Earth inside and out, edited by E. Mathez: New Press, New York, pp. 32-39. [peer-reviewed book chapter for lay audience]
*13. Mojzsis, S.J., and Ryder, G. (2001) Extraterrestrial accretion to the Earth and Moon ca. 3.85 Ga. In: Accretion of Extraterrestrial Matter Throughout Earth History, edited by B. Peuckner-Ehrenbrink and B. Schmitz: Kluwer, pp. 423-446.
12. Mojzsis, S.J., and Harrison, T.M. (2000) Vestiges of a beginning: clues to the emergent biosphere recorded in the oldest known sedimentary rocks. GSA Today 10: 1-6.
*11. Ryder, G., Koeberl, C., and Mojzsis, S.J. (2000) Heavy bombardment of the Earth at ~3.85 Ga: The search for petrographic and geochemical evidence. In: Origin of the Earth and Moon; edited by K. Righter and R. Canup: University of Arizona Press pp.475-492.
10. Greenwood, J.P., Mojzsis, S.J. and Coath, C.D. (2000) Sulfur isotopic compositions of individual sulfides in ALH84001 and Nakhla: implications for crust-regolith exchange on Mars. Earth Planet. Sci. Letts. 184, 23-25.
The following papers were published prior to my arrival at the University of Colorado
Geological Sciences | Graduate Program in Planetary Sciences | Univ. of Colorado at Boulder
modified Thursday October 20, 2011